Bunk/Elevated Bed Safety
Bunk/elevated beds are a great and safe way to maximize sleeping space but any elevated sleeping space has inherent and obvious risks. Here are some rules to follow to help you enjoy a safe bunk bed experience:
1. Make sure your bed conforms to the current U. S. Safety Standards. More information on this can be found at the following link:
Consumer Products Safety Commission for Bunk Beds
2. Install/assemble the Bed correctly. Tighten screws/bolts every week or so.
3. Supervise its use; discuss bunk bed safety with the persons that are going to use the bed.
4. Only allow children that are 6 years of age and older on the top bunk/elevated surface.
5. Do not allow jumping and/or "horseplay" on the bed or under it.
6. Allow only one person at a time on the top bunk.
7. Always use the guard rails on both sides of the upper bunk. If you place your bunk against a wall, be sure that the guard rail is placed against the wall to prevent entrapment between the wall and the bed.
8. Always use the proper size mattress, making sure that the top of the mattress is 5" below the top of the guardrail.
9. Always use the ladder (or stairs) when entering or exiting the bed; do not attach anything to the ladder/stairs that might catch on clothing. Also, NEVER hang or attach any items to any part of the bunk bed/stairs that aren't designed for use with the bed, including, but not limited to belts, ropes, jump ropes, hooks, etc.
10. Make sure there's enough ceiling height above the top bunk. A minimum of 30" is recommended. Don't place the bed near a door, window, closet or fire/smoke detector or ceiling fan.
If you have your bed delivered by us, we will assemble it for you, for a small fee. Since we can not control any other assemblies or modifications to your bed, Dallas Bunk Bed (formerly woodeye) /dallasbunkbed.com and its owners/employees will not be held legally liable or responsible for any/all accidents, injuries or property damage resulting from the pick-up, delivery, transport, set-up, placement and/or use of our beds/products.
Please be aware that the risks of falling from an elevated bed are greater if a person has diminished mental capacity, such as, but not limited to illness, lack of sleep, medications and alcohol consumption. Also, our beds are constructed from all natural wood and therefore will burn in a fire or if sufficient heat is present. Anyone who purchases and/or use our beds/products agrees to assume all risks, responsibility and liability for any/all accidents, injury or property damage, in its pick-up, delivery, transport, set-up, placement and use.
Have a Question? Ready to Order? Please CONTACT US!